Thursday, March 12, 2020
Mark 10:32-45 Small Group Questions
Our church is currently studying the book of Mark. For twenty-eight weeks we're walking through the book and talking about the action-packed story of Jesus. Mark was more concerned with what Jesus did than what Jesus said. For this series I volunteered to write the small group questions that go along with each sermon. It seemed like a waste to leave them in a file on my computer and not share them with everyone.
Small Group Questions ::: Road Trip Conversations ::: Mark 10:32-45
As Mark continues to follow Jesus to Jerusalem we see a few very personal interactions between Jesus and the disciples. Throughout the Gospel of Mark we read that Jesus had a public teaching and then Jesus would give an explanation or a deeper teaching to the disciples. Staring in Mark 8 we read that Jesus told the disciples that He would be giving up His life. Now in Mark 10, we read that Jesus explains this will happen in Jerusalem. After that we see another example of the disciples not clearly understanding their role as servants in the Kingdom of God. Study these questions for to gain a better understanding of what is happening Mark.
1) Studies show that almost 40% of Americans are planning to take a road trip in the spring or the summer. Share about the most memorable road trip you’ve ever taken.
2) In Mark 10:32-34 we read about the third time, in the Gospel of Mark, that Jesus has talked about His upcoming death. The first two are in: Mark 8:31-32 & 9:30-32. Read the three passages and talk about how Jesus is preparing for the cross.
3) The Prophets wrote about the coming of the Messiah and what would take place (read Romans 1:2). Isaiah foretells the death of Jesus in Isaiah 52:13-53:12. What part of Jesus going to the cross sticks out most to you?
4) Read Mark 10:35-40. We read that James and John asked Jesus a selfish question. Where do you find yourself asking Jesus selfish questions that primary benefit your life? Ask the group to pray for you to grow in the areas that are shared.
5) Jesus told the disciples He would take the wrath of God while hanging on the cross. Jesus took the wrath so we could have salvation in Him (1 Thessalonians 5:9, Romans 5:9, & John 3:36). How have you seen Jesus save you from God’s wrath?
6) Although we see a selfish attitude in the disciples, Jesus knew they would mature. Read Acts 2:14-15, 42-47, and 3:1-10 see some of the ways the disciples began to serve the early church.
7) Jesus commands the disciples to choose to serve others (read Mark 10:43-44). Where is God inviting you to serve in your home, community or at Coastline? What steps will you take to obey God in this or seek His desire for you to serve?
Close your time in prayer.