Coastline Bible Church is doing an eight-week sermon series called: "Defined by Joy." The Apostle Paul helped plant the church in Philippi (see Acts 16) but never forget about them. They played a key role in supporting him as God called him to plant other churches. From this series we want to learn how to have our lives defined by joy and not circumstances. Paul modeled this well to the early church. For this series I volunteered to write the small group questions that go along with each sermon. It seemed like a waste to leave them in a file on my computer and not share them with everyone.
Small Group Questions | The Great Example | Philippians 2:1-11
Serving others does not come natural to everyone. Paul wrote the letter to the church in Philippi from a Roman jail about putting Christ first and others next. Instead of talking of being released, Paul focused more on uniting the church. It is truly better to have a united church ministering in the community. Paul longed to see the local church taking up the example of Jesus and chose to serve one another. Paul wants the church to find the joy of serving Jesus that he has found. In Philippians 2:1-11 he writes a poetic masterpiece that shows the chiastic structure that details Jesus coming to earth, serving people, and ascending back into heaven.
1) Neal shared about the mass shooting in Las Vegas almost four years ago. Many people fled for their lives but some heroes went back to help save others. What motivates a person to put their life on the line to save strangers?
2) Read Philippians 2:1-4. Draw out the different ways he wanted the church to be united. Talk about the difference between unity and uniformity. How can we be united with Christ for the advancement of the Gospel?
3) Look again at Philippians 2:3-4. As a group take a couple mins to read Mark 5. Look at how Jesus selflessly served the different people He ministered to in this chapter. What stands out to you about looking to the interests of others?
4) Paul encouraged us to have the same mindset as that of Jesus (Philippians 2:5). Read John 4:31-34, Luke 7:11-17, Mark 2:1-11, and Matthew 5:1-2. What does these passages teach us about the mindset of Jesus?
5) Read Philippians 2:6-8. Jesus was obedient to death on the cross. Some believers hear about the cross so often that they forget what really happened (read Luke 23:26-47). What do you need to remember about what happened on the cross?
6) Jesus ascended into heaven and sat at the right hand of God (read Philippians 2:9-11). Jesus allowed God to exalt Him. Read Mark 10:35-45. Why did the disciples want to exalt themselves? Why do we try to do the same?
7) One day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord. Share about a time where you saw someone confess salvation in the name of Jesus. Who are you praying for to find hope in the name of Jesus?
Close your time in prayer by praying for: Child Evangelism Fellowship.