In August of 2021 Coastline Bible Church started a brand new sermon series called: "Greater." For approximately five months we are going to study the book of Hebrews together. The book of Hebrews was written to a Jewish audience living in the first century. They are likely experiencing persecution and thinking about abandoning their faith. The author teaches us how Jesus is greater than: the prophets, angels, Moses, Abraham, the Law, the old covenant, and the high priest. We learn that Jesus is greater than anything that has preceded Him. For this series I volunteered to write the small group questions that go along with each sermon. It seemed like a waste to leave them in a file on my computer and not share them with everyone.
Small Group Questions | The Hall of Faith Part 2 | Hebrews 11:32-40
Hebrews 11 focuses on living a life of faith when we can’t see the outcome. The end of Hebrews 11 focuses on growing in our faith when we are faced with suffering. Last week the author went from the book of Genesis to the book of Joshua. It seems that he realizes if he continues at this current pace he is going to run out of paper. So he speeds up his thoughts. He moves from chronological progression to the faithful people in Israel. The focus is still on faith. In the couple verses we read he covers: the Judges, the early monarchy, and the prophets. We don’t want to suffer. We like our comfortable lives but God meets us in times of suffering.
1) In the sermon we learned that our faith grows most in suffering. Share about a time that you suffered, for your faith, and what you learned about your faith. How did this time shape you as a follower of Jesus?
2) Read Hebrews 11:32-34. Finding strength in our weakness. We read about Gideon, Samson, David, and many more. They were all strong men of God but had times of weakness. Where are you weak right now? Where are you struggling?
3) Our world is obsessed with strength. We have stores dedicated to physical fitness. The gym is a huge industry. Thinking about your spiritual life, where are you growing even though you might be weak (see Psalm 31:9, Isaiah 40:29, and Mark 10:44-45)
4) Read Hebrews 11:35-38. We move to this sudden shift to the theme of torture. Read Jeremiah 20:2 and 2 Chronicles 24:20-22. When you think about the Saints before us being tortured, how does that make you feel about your freedom?
5) Many of the early Christians were also beaten and killed for their faith in Jesus Christ. Read Acts 12:1-4, 14:19-20, 21:30-32. After reading these stories about the early church leaders, how do you feel about suffering for Jesus?
6) The author wraps up the hall of faith in two sentences (read Hebrews 11:39-40). These heroes of the faith were commended for their faith but they never received what had been promised. What did they not receive?
7) As we look at this final section of Hebrews 11 we see a language of community. Unlike the early Hebrew culture the American culture is an individual culture. How can we grow in the community aspect and lessen our individualistic nature?
Close your time in prayer. Pray for strength to invite a friend to meet Jesus.